Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's all about Perspective

Why is the type like this? Grrrr. Sorry about that.

So, I'm sweeping our front yard this morning because it's all dirt a
nd covered with leaves and blossoms that have fallen from our big orange trees. Because of the blossoms, it literally sounds like a buzzing bee hive as all the bees collect their nectar to make honey. God just loves putting us out of our comfort zones. :)

While I'm doing this, Kya is playing with our next door neighbor's boy. After a while, his mom comes over. She tells me something that is very normal here in Albania, but would be very hard to experience. Her husband has left for Greece for 6 months. He does this every year. Here half the year, gone the other half. He does this to work ad support his family because here it is so hard to find work, especially work that's enough money to live. She has a 3 year old a
nd a 4 month old. I asked her how she goes grocery shopping. She has no help. She's from a village. Normally here in Albania, your mom helps you, but her mom is in her village. They don't have a car like many Albanians don't. She said when the baby's asleep, she runs to the store really fast (literally). I just can't imagine. Obviously, I told her I'd come over and watch the kids while she goes, but I don't know if she'll accept my help. I told her I wanted to take her out for coffee sometime, but she said "Thank you, but no." The reason? Because men go for coffee, not moms. Moms stay at home. She is at home every moment. I told her I saw lots of moms going out for coffee, but I think because she is from a village, those traditions are more ingrained into her about the status of men and women. And sometimes I think I have very few friends and would like to get out a little more. Compared to the States, of course, but here, life is very different. Just try to imagine what that would be like to be trapped in a house with 2 small kids half the year every year with no car, no husband, and no help. We have so much to be grateful for.

2 comments:

sundog said...

We do! Thank you for the reminder.

I remember a house we lived at in Florida that had huge mango trees in the yard. When the mangoes were ripe there were so many and they would fall all over the place and rot and we had bees and Palmetto bugs galore!

I wonder if you could take coffee to her? That way she wouldn't have to leave. I bet it's challenging learning this new culture. If it wouldn't be offensive, since they won't come to you or with you... maybe you could go to them. Knowing you, you've probably already tried it... lol.

Love you guys.

Unknown said...

Cool that you can start those types of relationships with your neighbors!! I think that is fruit of your being there now going on two years, learning more of the language, etc. That's a cool place to be and I think something to be encouraged by. I will pray God give you the exact strategy to reach her heart for Jesus! Bless you guys...